Friday, August 6, 2010

Open Letter To The President About Gay Rights

Like many of my fellow gays and lesbians, I have been overjoyed this week by the court decision striking down Proposition 8. I have also been less than pleased with the lackluster response (try none) from the White House. This morning I received am email from Barackobama.com asking me to stay committed to the fight against racial discrimination. I wrote this letter to the president in response:

Mr. President,

I received an email today from BarackObama.com written by Congressman John Lewis. It was about how there is still racial discrimination in this country and how I need to do more to combat that. It then asked for me to pledge more help in the fight.

I am a gay man who is one of the 18,000 gay couples married in California two years ago. As I am sure you are aware, there was a major victory for the rights of gay and lesbian people to marry that was handed down two days ago. I want to know where the message from the White House is that addresses the discrimination that still exists for gays and lesbians. Where is the call to continue the struggle for our rights? Where is the email from BarackObama.com written by Congressman Barney Frank talking about Stonewall and its impact on the gay and lesbian equality movement? Where is the personal note from you, Mr. President, congratulating our community and reminding us to keep our resolve as we move forward in this struggle? The only news about a statement I have heard out of the White House is a reaffirmation that you are still against same-sex marriage. That is wrong.

While I am very much a supporter of racial equality and the end of racial discrimination, this week is about and should be about discrimination toward gays and lesbians. I find it in very poor taste to ignore the great victory and joy I am feeling at finally having my rights protected while asking me to further commit to the struggles of another targeted group.

It is time to get off the fence on this issue, Mr. President. It is time for the about face that so many of your fellow politicians have had on this issue. I don't want a president that only pays lip service to my rights. I want a president that puts the full power of his office into actively fighting for my rights. One day our children will look back on this time in much the same way people look back on the days of segregation. How will they remember you on this issue?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Cole Alexander

No comments: